Physical Therapists


Steps to follow

    1. Decide the type of visa or immigration process which suits the particular needs of the PT. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website ( is very helpful and straight forward for nurses, doctors and physical therapists. It provides some insight into these requirements. As a foreign national, you will need a visa that allows you to work in the US as a non-citizen.
      1. The most common is the H1B visa. This requires:
        • Sponsor and employer in place prior to issuing of the visa
        • Healthcare worker certificate.
        • Personal appearance at the appropriate government office that issues the visa.
      1. One may also choose to apply for permanent residency status (green card) or citizenship. The requirements for a physical therapist seeking a healthcare worker certificate include:
        • Verification of graduation from a foreign physical therapy program that is recognized in the country of education by the appropriate ministry
        • Verification of eligibility to practice as a physical therapist in the country of education, and that all existing licenses are in good standing
        • Determination of substantial equivalency of education to the current US education for physical therapists.
        • Passing appropriate IELTS or TOEFL examinations


Print Friendly, PDF & Email