5. US Nursing: Georgia. Macon
Job: Labour and Delivery Nurse
Duties and Responsibilities
The role of these nurses is to care for women and their new borns during labor and childbirth. The nurse assists, educates and supports womens during the antepartum, intrapartum, postpartum and neonatal phases.
Specific labor and delivery nurse duties include:
- Identify/assist with complications
- Providing support for mother
- Coaching the mother during delivery
- Assisting with various procedures, including Cesarean sections
- Monitoring and performing tests on newborns
- Monitor mother’s vital signs
- Measure strength as well as timing of contraction
- Administer medications/performing diagnostic tests as required
- Continuing consultation with physicians and other members of the team
- Assist with inducing labour
Necessary Qualifications and Experience
- Graduation accredited school of nursing and state-required licensure.
- Advanced nursing skills and experience often including advanced education, such as a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
- The L&D nurse ensures a safe and healthy delivery.
- Such nurses display good judgment, pay attention to details, possess the ability to make quick decisions and are able to work well with others.
- Good communication skills are also an integral part of the job.