The USA in Seven Steps

Adevia Health Immigration

International Registered Nurses seeking US nursing jobs need to follow this detailed process to follow to get licensed.


The nurse requires:

  • a diploma or BSc from an accredited nursing school in your country
  • an RN license in your country


An English test may be necessary

If you went to nursing school in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada (except Quebec) or the spoken language of your nursing school was English or your nursing school textbooks were written in English, it won’t be necessary. Otherwise, you can take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC). Your test administration will have to send the results directly to the state board you’re applying to.


You will need to pass the NCLEX-RN exam.


Adevia recruits for hospitals across the USA. We will work with them and secure your RN position in the US.


Now you just have to accept the job offer as a registered nurse and check the last details with your employer and that’s it, after the immigration process you’ll be working as a nurse in the United States.


Your future hospital will sponsor you to help you get a VisaScreen Certificate at the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).


When your visa immigrant petition is approved, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) sends your file to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing, which will transmit it to the US embassy of your country.

The NVC will give you the date of your appointment to the embassy for your visa interview and you will have to make a medical exam before.

The process of obtaining permanent residence may take between 12 to 18 months but it’s worth waiting for.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email